Sunday, November 02, 2008

A Win is a Win

I detect a funny phenomenon among Obama supporters. I think I would call it "Landslide Letdown Syndrome." About ten days ago, it looked like there was a real chance for Obama to win upwards of 380 or 390 or even break 400 electoral votes. I think a lot of Obama supporters internalized this possibility and began to measure success against this very high bar.

Today, while it still looks like Obama will win the election, it seems much less likely that it will be a massive blowout. I think that's contributed to some of the "angst" that Obama supporters are feeling. In fact, today I heard a diehard Obama supporter say, after checking fivethirtyeight.com, "Oh my god, McCain's up to 200!"

Remember, though, that while the "expectations game" matters in the primaries, and it matters in the debates, it doesn't really matter on November 4. Whoever gets 270 electoral votes will be the next President whether he gets 270 exactly or 400. No one (except perhaps members of the losing party) is going to be saying, "Well, he won, but he didn't beat the spread, so he can't take office."

Just keep that in mind.

No comments: